Saturday, August 22, 2015

A quick note about a helpful tech gadget I've been using

I'm a gadget guy.  I like gadgets.  And there's a particular gadget I bought a couple of months ago that has helped me immensely in finding my way on my scooter.

It's a 'smartwatch.'  Specifically, it's a Moto 360 by Motorola. It runs Android software and syncs with my phone.

The best thing about the watch is that it displays turn by turn directions.  That means that when I'm lost on my scooter, I don't have to stop, fumble with my gloves, open my scooter visor, pull my phone out of my pocket, and figure out where I am.  I can just look at my watch, and it'll tell me where the next turn is.

I can also (theoretically) use the watch to dictate text messages and emails to send (while I'm stopped at lights, of course), although the speech recognition tech is a little shaky, and I've sent some confusing and incoherent messages to my husband on a couple of occasions.

I'm probably going to add a Bluetooth earpiece to my setup soon that'll allow Google to speak directions directly into my ear from my phone, but it's still really helpful to have directions right on my wrist.

Plus, it's just a nifty little gadget.

No comments:

Post a Comment